Whether you’re looking for a pre-made costume or hoping to piece one together using second-hand clothes, Goodwill is the place for all of your Halloween needs. Second-hand and vintage clothes make excellent Halloween costumes because the creative possibilities are endless! Vintage clothes are true to the time period so your costume will look more authentic and nobody will have the same costume as you.
I’m a huge fan of literal costumes. My ‘The Devil Wears Prada’ costume is one of my favorites because it was one of a kind and ridiculously easy to put together. I didn’t want to buy a typical devil outfit because that would have been boring, so I opted for a full-length, red vintage dress from Goodwill and ironed on the word ‘Prada’. I added a belt, the typical devil accessories (also from Goodwill), red vintage shoes, and voila! I was done.
Keep these items in mind while shopping at Goodwill for great costume ideas:
- Prom dresses
- Wedding dresses (consider dying one black for a zombie, Addams family or wife of Frankenstein look)
- Vintage embellished dresses
- Lab coats
- Men’s suits & blazers
- Military and utility pieces
- Trench coats
- Sports apparel
A few great thrift store Halloween costume ideas:
- Einstein: grab a gray sweater, white button-up shirt, and tease a gray wig
- 1980s Aerobics Instructor: neon bodysuit, leggings, and sweat band
- Billie Holiday: embellished dress, flower, microphone
- Loofah: make a few DIY alterations to a full tulle dress or skirt in a bright color, add a white rope to the top.
- Rosie the Riveter: chambray or utility uniform shirt and a scarf. Attach a yellow foam board with the words ‘we can do it’ to your back with rope.
These are just a few of dozens of ideas! What are you dressing up as for Halloween?
This post was originally featured on the Goodwill Akron blog.